We all hear the term HIPAA compliance regularly, which is a requirement for the medical and insurance industry. There are so many different areas to cover to make sure you are HIPAA compliant it is imperative to find the right partner to ensure you are protecting your patients and business. To know that the company you are trusting is taking the extra precautions to make sure these strict guidelines are followed and upheld puts your mind at ease with how your sensitive information is being handled and stored. We are proud to be a HIPAA compliant company, but do you know what the requirements are for your company?
Lets take a look at a 3 major rules in the HIPAA compliance rules and make sure your company is following them:
- The HIPPA Privacy Rule mandates the protection and privacy of all health information. This rule specifically defines the authorized uses and disclosures of “individually-identifiable” health information. This is the most complex rule, setting requirements for how protected health information (PHI), in any form or medium, should be controlled.
- The HIPAA Security Rule mandates the security of electronic medical records (EMR). Unlike the Privacy Rule, which provides broader protection for all formats that health information may take, such as print or electronic information, the Security Rule addresses the technical aspects of protecting electronic health information. More specifically, the HIPPA Security standards address these aspects of security:
- The HIPAA Transaction and Code Set Rule addresses the use of predefined transaction standards and code sets for communications and transactions in the health-care industry. Knowing all of the details to be HIPPA compliant is not an easy task and can be a little bit confusing and we pride ourselves with looking at every possible threat and regulation and making sure you are covered. We go the extra mile to explain why certain security measures need to be in place in terms that apply to you, your business, and your clients. Did you know there are regular updates to the HIPAA rules? The rules are constantly being updated so new measures are put into place to make sure there are no risks for your patients and at ProTechnical we worry about those details so you can focus on the most important thing, your patients and clients.
• Administrative security – assignment of security responsibility to an individual.
• Physical security – required to protect electronic systems, equipment and data.
• Technical security – authentication & encryption used to control access to data.
The unknown is always intimidating, especially when it comes to HIPAA compliance. ProTechnical has went the extra mile to ensure we are HIPAA compliant so we can better assist our clients with meeting their HIPAA compliance requirements. Call ProTechnical today to schedule an appointment with one of our HIPAA certified experts.